Monday, August 7, 2017

# healthy # holistic

Raising Vegan Kids



The number of people I know switching to plant based is growing much faster than I had anticipated. One thing I have noticed though, is that their kids aren't. Why is this? Kids can be picky eaters. Feeding toddlers can be a battle. However; I am happy to say, my children have adjusted extremely well, so I thought I'd offer up some tips & help in Raising Vegan Kids.

1. They Won't Starve
I have always followed this philosophy. While my peers were worried about little Bob getting all of his nutrients and filling his belly, I wasn't. I cook the meal, I decide when and where we eat it, and they can eat. Or not. I'm not going to say this is a legit statistic, so keep your lawyers off of my back, but there has been 0% of children in the history of ever who went malnourished because you didn't force them to eat. Save yourself the struggle! Little Timmy will eat when he's hungry, I promise! If he ate 3 bites, encourage him. Believe it or not, feeding oneself is a life skill. So he didn't eat the whole thing, he used his fork and left his screaming to a minimum. That's a win in my book! If he's hungry later, offer him the rest of his meal. If it's dinner, I guarantee he will eat a big breakfast.

With that being said, if there is a real problem of undernourishment, your child is lethargic, or losing weight, see your dr immediately. This post isn't for you, you have a genuine issue. 

2. The "No-Thank You" Bite
This one may in fact contradict number 1, but don't judge me. If you'd like your child to try something, say veggies, and they're just not having it, intro: the no thank you bite. This little bad boy is essentially how I get my kid to try anything. Honestly, some kids are justifiably scared to try something new. "Just try a no thank you bite. If you don't like it, you don't need to eat anymore, but you do need to try it." BOOM. Mic drop. Of course this usually only works for older preschoolers and children, who can understand logically. You may have to use a little bribery the first few times, #noshame, but they tried it. Win-win.



3. Feed Them What They Like
No, I don't mean feed them "kid-friendly" junk all day long. If your kids like certain fruits & veggies, try to buy those most often. My kids love bananas, grapes, strawberries, spinach, and  broccoli. I make sure to buy at least a few of these a week. We do stick to what's on sale for the most part, but we usually always end up with some that they like. They don't have to love it, just be willing to eat it. The same can be said for other items. My 5 year old loves rice & beans with broccoli. He'd eat it every day if I'd let him. He usually eats it 2-3 times a week. He loves it, it's nutritious, inexpensive, & very filling.  My 1 year old will only eat green veggies if I blend them up into our reusable pouches and add applesauce. Whatevs man. He eats it. That's all that matters.

4. Start Slowly
If you're new to plant based, or maybe just even eating more healthfully, start out slowly. Replace a couple of meals a week. If they insist on boxed mac & cheese, throw in some spinach with it. If they are chicken nugget obsessed, there are some great meat alternatives out there that are fairly inexpensive. I'd avoid processed food as much as possible, but everything in moderation, especially if you're transitioning to meat & dairy free.



5. Don't Buy Junk  
The biggest thing I hear people say is that their kids just prefer to eat chips over fruit for snack. Here's an idea guys, STOP BUYING IT FOR THEM! Unless little Cindy Lou is getting her mini shopping cart, picking out the groceries, and paying with her monopoly money, there is no sense in you just saying no, we will not buy it. If it's not there to tempt them, they can't eat it. If there is one thing I've learned, it's kids will generally eat what is put in front of them if it's offered enough times. Especially if they aren't offered junky food they prefer other more nutritious meals.

6. Be a Good Example
Notice how I didn't say "perfect" example. If your kids see you not eating meat & cheese, or even just junk food, they will learn from that. Kids only know what they are taught. I know it can be hard in a culture with horrid eating habits, a backwards society, and the pressure put on to kids through advertising, but at the end of the day, you are who they look to first and foremost. Do not take that lightly. Be the example.



7. Talk Candidly
We talk to our 5 year old a lot. Especially in the beginning of our transition to plant based. "Now buddy, we're going to try not to eat meat and dairy anymore. It's going to be hard, but it's better for our bodies, the environment, & God's beautiful creatures. We can do this together, as a family." If you have a child old enough to understand, really talk to them about your decision. I've learned first hand, they're your kids, you can choose what you think they can and can't understand. I've had backlash from family and friends about the severity of my talks. I feel it's important to be open and honest with my kids about our decision to be vegan because it's not just about what we eat, but it's a lifestyle. He enjoys asking others if they're vegan. It's so cool (& sometimes slightly embarrassing) to see him making the connection with the world around him.

8. Let Them Help
Whether it be meal planning, picking out the groceries, putting the groceries away, cooking, setting the table, it doesn't matter! These are all extraordinary life skills and will give them independence if they're a part of the whole process. My 5 year old does all of the above, so even young children are perfectly capable. The more they help, the more willing they are to try things, especially if it's something they picked out or made themselves.



Well guys, I hope you have enjoyed my tips in raising vegan kids. We're still very new to this lifestyle, so I am sure there will be more trial and error along the way, but I think this will help some of you figure out where to start!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Us @thethriftyhomeschoolvegan