Friday, August 18, 2017

# homeschool # kids

Week 7- Nest Unit


Hey there homeschool mamas! Welcome to week 7 of our Kindergarten Homeschool! I am so excited to show you what we've done and how it's going every week! If you're curious about our curriculum, my son, or our homeschool room, check out this post!

Well, here we are week 7! This is our last week before our first school break. We are going to enjoy some much needed family time with one another! This week was all about nests!

I wasn't able to find a video to go with our poem, so he wasn't all that into it this week.



He enjoyed watching a Sid the Science kid episode where they investigated nests on Netflix (Home Tweet Home Episode). We also watched some youtube videos about nests and other animal homes.
After his videos, he really grasped the concept. He told my husband and I all about how nests are made.

Liam was really engaged when we read Annie and Snowball and the Cozy Nest. We talked about the different kinds of mommies for animals. He thought it'd be pretty funny if a dog tried to be a mom to a baby bird. I found this coloring sheet and we did a watercolor painting. I opened a page of the book and he copied the colors. I don't usually mind him choosing unrealistic colors, as I feel it allows him to use imagination, but I also wanted him to think about the colors of these things in a practical way. 



This week's Biblical Concept took a little while longer to learn than it normally does. I'm not really sure of the reason for that. but he did end up learning it in the end, so that's all that matters.

Of course, I forgot to buy the things for our editable nest last week. We ended up not doing it this week, which was a bit disappointing. Once I did go to the grocery, I couldn't find everything needed. 

We made our own nests out of construction paper. He had a lot of fun doing it! 



This week was a bit off. I think just because we are 7 weeks in, we're both just ready for a break. That mixed with soccer, doctors appointments, our upcoming bathroom remodel, and our trip, it's been hard for both of us to concentrate. Week 8 should be much more relaxed and back to normal!

Books we read this week were: Annie & Snowball and the Cozy Nest, Are You My Mother?, The Magic School Bus Flies the Nest, A Nest Full of Eggs, and A Nest is Noisy



He has always been interested in nature and insects. However, since starting MFW, he has been extremely engrossed in them. I checked Dollar Tree for magnifying glasses and they were out and had gotten rid of all of their bug kits for the year. I had some money on an Amazon gift card, so I ordered him one there. He has had so much fun with it so far! Can't wait for him to take it on our nature hikes soon! He started a nature journal a couple of weeks ago. Just an empty notebook. He draws things he finds and we help him write what they are. Super fun!

Week 6 | Week 7 | Week 8 | Week 9 |Week 10
Week 11 | Week 12 | Week 13 | Week 14 | Week 15
Week 16 | Week 17 | Week 18 | Week 19 | Week 20
Week 21 | Week 22 | Week 23 | Week 24 | Week 25
Week 26 | Week 27 | Week 28 | Week 29 | Week 30
Week 31 | Week 32

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Us @thethriftyhomeschoolvegan